Fredericksburg was founded May 8, 1846. Immigrant families, from what is now known as Germany, were given a town lot measuring 100′ x 200′ and a 10 acre outlot. Most families first build a log home or half-timbered fachwerk and later more substantial stone homes. Many of these homes are still standing. Subsequent generations also left their mark on the built environment as they built their businesses along Main Street (formerly known as San Saba). It is the duty of the Historic Preservation Officer and the Historic Review Board to protect historic properties within the local historic district and individual landmarks.
Historic Preservation Ordinance – Updated 2017
The Historic Preservation Ordinance and Design Guidelines are an effort by the City to maintain economic vitality, to protect property values, and to preserve the integrity and character of the historic properties in a manner of quality indicative of Fredericksburg.
About the Board
Review required by Historic Review Board or Historic Preservation Officer.
No person or entity shall install, construct, reconstruct, alter, change, restore, remove, or demolish any Resource, structure or exterior architectural feature or other significant appurtenance of any historic landmark or of any building or structure located within the historic district unless and until such person or entity has completed review of his/her/its proposed changes by the Historic Review Board, herein referred to as the “board,” or the Historic Preservation Officer, and has obtained a certificate of appropriateness in accordance with the further provisions hereof. The HRB shall review all applications proposing additions, alterations, changes, construction, demolition, or relocation within the historic district and historic landmarks.